Monday 15 September 2014

Perry Miniatures Foot Knights


I painted these up at the weekend. My first base for my late 15th century Venetian army.  
 All the figures are from the latest Perry miniatures plastic box set, with a couple of slight conversions and some extra bits taken out of the previous medieval boxes.
I have to say these were a real joy to paint and a welcome break from all the Napoleonic miniatures I have been painting lately. The men at arms go together real easy with lots of variety and options. One point I need to remember on the next batch, is to make sure I have cleaned up the mould lines properly. There are very few and the casting is excellent, but due to me being impatient and rushing I missed some obvious ones that didn't stand out until I had started the highlights on the armour.
 I have varied the metal quite a bit from dark unpolished to bright silver to add variety and show the more successful condottiero. Although i'm not sure you can tell in the photo.
 I have also tried to show a lot of movement on the base, something basing for Impetus allows you to do. The base is 120mm by 60mm. With the charge being lead by the chap without a helmet. Whilst the knight wearing the tall plumed helmet points out a worthy adversary in the enemy ranks and calls out a (somewhat muffled) challenge.
chap on the right has blued armour. 
 I have painted 14 altogether so far, as that was what I was planning would look right and give the base some weight. In the end I decided to stick with the 11 you can see in the photo, which means I now have 3 finished for the next base!
 But first I have hundreds of LotR dwarves to varnish and some GB Mongols to finish off.

I will post more on my thoughts of my new collection over the weekend. Just need to decide whether to do it in its own blog or keep altogether here...

15 comments:

  1. These are great! Just bought a box of these myself although I will be pleased to do them half as well as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb, you've done a great job on these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments legatus, i'm sure yours will turn out just as well
    cheers Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are starting to get the hang of this painting malarkey Steve. When the Perry Bros see this I think they are going to want them for their own collection.
    Superb painting and basing and I like the different colour armour mixed in with the unit. Who makes the flag?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your kind comments chaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pat, yes i'm getting there. Hoping to keep these for myself but they will probably end up at Daves house at some point.
    The flag is by petes flags. he has a blog http://thegreatitalianwars.blogspot.co.uk/ and does plenty of different medieval flags, well worth a look great quality and you can have them printed on cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent paintjob, really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just came across your blog. I love the leader figure! Was this a conversion?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rick, thanks for your comments, he's not really a conversion just a head swap. the bare head is taken from the Perry miniatures mounted knights box set
    cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just picked up a box of the Foot Knights from Warlord. Can't wait to assemble and paint these. Thanks for the reply!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what colors did you use on the armor? looks like a wash over the metal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rick
    Good choice! they are real fun to paint

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm not sure how well it comes up in the photos, but basically started with a black undercoat, then different shades of metallic from silver to gunmetal. highlighted with a lighter metal. then washed using a mix of inks, black and brown, black, blue, black and blue. then rehighlight. simples
    cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Steve. I can't believe I missed this post earlier. Fantastic work - so dynamic and full of action.

    ReplyDelete

Hi I have recently had a few comments on old posts that i missed, so to make sure i dont miss anything i have added the moderator settings
thanks for taking the time to comment :o)